THEY LOOKED BETTER WITH MUD BUT FOR THEIR OWN GOOD THEY NEEDED TO BE CLEANED.
Wearing my hiking boots every day is a dream come true, but last adventure left them a little bit dirty. Even though hiking boots look so much cooler when they're dirty we must remember that having them cleaned after each adventure prolongs their lifespan.
You must be pretty picky when cleaning your boots. You are not cleaning them with regular detergent (spray and wash people, I'm talking to you). Many detergents contain additives that can be harmful to leather or waterproof membranes of your boots and we don't want that.
HERE'S THE LIST OF THINGS YOU ARE GOING TO NEED
3) Special boot brush and old toothbrush
4) Specialized boot cleaner or saddle soap
5) Clean rag
I use NIKWAX to clean my boots andI have been using it for quite sometime. I was advised by an older chap at Adventure 16 to use it. Be aware that my Oboz are water proof, so I also use the NIKWAX Nubuck & Suede Proof to keep them water proofy.
STEPS TO CLEAN BOOTS
1) Brush the mud and dirt off as much as you can. If the brushing doesn't do the trick then soak your boots a little bit so the mud become humid, this way it will be easier to brush it off.
2) When all the mud has been taken care of clean your boot with a wet rag and thoroughly go over it, in order to make sure no muddy chunks hid from you.
3) After making sure your boot is mud free then apply the NIKWAX Cleaning Gel.
Apply NIKWAX all over the boot and gently begin to work around the boot with the brush. At the end I clean the rest of the boot with a rag, in order to fully clean the boot.
After you cleaned your boots with the NIKWAC footwear cleaning gel you will apply the NIKWAX Nubuck & Suede Proof generously to the boot while it is still wet (if your boot is waterproof).
Wait for two minutes for the Suede Proof to make its magic. After that, clean the surplus with a wet rag and allow it to dry.
You can put newspaper inside the boots so it helps dry them even quicker. Newspaper also helps remove smelly odors from your boots (yes, I'm talking to you smelly feet people).
Remember that clean boots helps to have them for longer and it helps you save time and money, because getting new boots is a pain in the buttocks.